The beaded bracelet has gone through several stages within its lifespan and under my ownership, where it has been passed through the artisan, the vendor, and to myself as the final owner. I am sure that others may have this type of bracelet and may vary slightly between models, but the majority of people who have bought it from the Cox’s Bazaar region are mainly tourists and vacationers from the country. The visual look of the bracelet is comprised of earth tones (brown, black, grey), and reminds me of Bangladesh’s natural appeal, as I’m sure it can give the same feeling to others who own the same type of bracelet. Uses for this bracelet are very limited, but can have different meanings due to how it was acquired: some may have received it as a gift, others may have bought it personally (like myself). However, the primary reason for the bracelet could be as a souvenir, or for beautification and accessorizing purposes by the person who bought it. For myself, beaded jewellery feels like a much more natural alternative to metallic goods that represents my humble and earthly approach to life. This is why I usually wear beads in the first place, and being able to purchase something from my home country that allows me to feel comfortable in expressing myself internally and visually is a great thing.
Beaded jewellery can be found across the world, and is a very simple and basic design form that has been present in the world for ages. This somewhat gives me the feeling of unity with generations of people across the earth that have at some point worn beaded jewellery because of its simple, affordable, and worldly influence. Every time I put the bracelet on, draw its strings to tighten, it gives me the feeling of being close to the country it is from, and the various people’s hands it has passed through to where it is now. Because of its neutral tones, I am able to wear it during many different occasions, and is able to follow me through my daily activities. It strengthens the diasporic imagination I have around it, and helps me to understand the process in which an artists work can make its way to different people across the world, with varying meanings.
No comments:
Post a Comment